Hi!

Now that I have a day off from two jobs, I can post about my experience at the March on Springfield! 



Illinois has been fighting to win Marriage Equality for a while now. After our Illinois state rep Greg Harris, failed at getting the bill called after building our hopes up, we've been fighting for marriage equality ever since. A lot of the state LGBT organizations and churches that support equal marriage, marched on the first day the Illinois House was back for a special session for bills that weren't called during the regular session. 

I rode on a coach bus from my gayborhood with tons of other gays on the Northside of Chicago, all the way up to Springfield. I'll call the older gentleman sitting next to me my bus buddy Jack. He was a cute little older man who slept a lot on the way their, I don't blame him, we had to be ON the bus before 7:30 AM! 

Jack slept so hard that I couldn't wake him when I wanted to use the rest stop bathroom. 
Jack marched with his HRC flag in tow!


Illinois State Rep. Greg Harris (D)

Once we arrived in a very rainy Springfield,Illinois I explored the state capitol building with Jim and watched all of the politicians and governor Pat Quinn promise to get SB10 (senate bill 10) called and signed into law. 
Illinois State Capitol building

I find it ironic that the bill was called SB10 because we were supposed to be the 10th state to win marriage at the time. 
Now five other states have bolted ahead of us, with Hawaii coming soon. Hawaii senate passed the bill 20-4 a few days ago. The Illinois marriage bill passed on Valentines Day 34-21. Yet the house speaker Michael Madigan has not brought the bill up for a vote. 

Thus we march to let the house know that WE WANT MARRIAGE NOW! 

All of the awesome signs I loved:


I also got to explore the capitol buildings second floor! It was really rich in history which is what made me jump on the bus during the rain with a smile. I love to vist places I've never been before. Maybe I'll bump into my future wife while fighting for the rights of all gays and lesbians. Who knows? 

Harassing the governor lol just kidding




It was amazing seeing more than 3,000 people Gay, Straight and Allies turn up to support marriage equality. A film director I used to intern for, Ky Dickens (Fish Out of Water, Sole Suvivor) parents showed up in support of Ky and her new wife and future children. If you haven't seen Fish Out of Water, please watch it on Netflix now! Here is the trailer: http://youtu.be/sU2hWgu_uGE

Ky Dickens Dad & Stepmom 

I really enjoyed marching with all of the other volunteers. On my bus ride home, an older woman was wearing her March for gay rights on Washington, October 11, 1987. It's 2013, why are we still marching for rights twenty-six years later? 

Where are you from? Have you done anything to push for marriage equality where you live? Let me know, I'd love to hear about your experience! 

Sending love, 

Kira



0 comments:

Post a Comment